This is to apprise fishing vessel owners/operators of requirements that apply to the new construction, survey, and maintenance of certain commercial fishing vessels.
In lieu of the commercial fishing vessel classing requirements in Title 46 United States Code (USC) §4503(a), certain vessels may meet alternative requirements as specified in 46 USC §4503(d).
1. Classification Society Construction Oversight:
46 USC §4503(d)(2) states that the construction of the vessel must be overseen and certified as being in accordance with its design by a marine surveyor of an organization accepted by the Secretary. The Coast Guard accepts select Classification Societies to oversee all aspects of construction and post-construction verification as outlined in 46 USC §4503(d)(1)-(7). In alignment with 46 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Subpart 8, the Coast Guard Office of Commercial Vessel Compliance (CG-CVC) maintains the list of Coast Guard accepted Classification Societies (listed under “Classification Society Authorizations and Agreements”), which can be accessed at: USCG.Flag.State.ClassSoc.List
2. Post Construction Surveys:
Post construction surveys as prescribed by 46 USC 4503(d) (5), (6), & (7) involve: condition surveys, out-of-water surveys, and compliance verification measures that are to be satisfied by a marine surveyor of an organization accepted by the Secrtary (i.e. the U.S. Coast Guard).
The following Organizations are accepted to verify complaiance of 46 USC 4503 (d)(5), (6), & (7):
- Classification Societies as listed at: USCG.Flag.State.ClassSoc.List
- National Association of Marine Surveyors (NAMS). *NOTE the NAMS organization must maintain a list of NAMS surveyors permitted to conduct 46 USC 4503 (d) (5), (6), & (7) compliance verifications.
3. For the life of the vessel, the owner of the vessel must maintain records to demonstrate compliance with prescribed 46 USC 4503
requirements, and make such records readily available for inspection by an authorized U.S. Coast Guard representative.