1. EMAIL:TypeApproval@uscg.mil. This email should be used to: submit formal request(s) for a new approval(s); request a renewal of an existing approval; follow-up on an open project; or send us a question. See acceptable file formats below. If applicable, please also note our section below entitled, “What to submit when corresponding with ENG-4 regarding equipment approvals/renewal.” ENG-4 can accept electronic submissions via e-mail up to 10 MB in file size. For larger files, see section #2 below.
2. INTERNET FILE EXCHANGE: : We are unable to accept submissions via a commercial file-share site or company’s ftp site. For submission of electronic files above 10MB and less than 8GB, you may submit correspondence via the Army Research Lab’s (ARL) Secure Access File Exchange (SAFE) located at https://safe.arl.army.mil/. Before using ARL’s file exchange, you must contact us first and indicated you wish to send us files electronically. Please ask your assigned staff engineer to obtain a request code for SAFE. Once we have done this, the code will be sent to you and then you will be able to “drop-off” your files. Request codes last approximately 14 days and your uploaded files will only stay on the File Exchange for 4 days at which point the system automatically deletes them. Again, please review our formatting and approval submission requirements below prior to submittal by reviewing What to submit when corresponding with ENG-4 regarding equipment approvals/renewal.
Occasionally, submissions under 10 MB are rejected by our e-mail server. If your submission is rejected by e-mail multiple times, or you do not receive a confirmation email within 5 business days indicating that your submission has been processed and assigned a Project Number, please send a follow-up email to TypeApproval@uscg.mil without any attachments for assistance.
3. BY CONVENTIONAL MAIL/COURIER. *** Please do not mail us USB flash drives, a.k.a. thumb drives. We are prohibited from retrieving information from them with our IT hardware.***
You may send us your paper documents or a CD/DVD containing all documents/files by mail. See acceptable formats below and our section below entitled, “What to submit when corresponding with ENG-4 regarding equipment approvals/renewal.” Our mailing address:
US COAST GUARD STOP 7509
2703 MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. AVE SE
WASHINGTON DC 20593-7509
The Coast Guard, by direction of the Department of Homeland Security, no longer accepts deliveries from DHL. The only acceptable parcel carriers for submitting plans and supporting information to CG-ENG-4 are now:
- United States Postal Service (USPS)
- United Parcel Service (UPS)
- Federal Express (FEDEX)
DHS has instituted a mandatory screening program for all incoming mail. As a result, most mail that is submitted to USCG HQ is subjected to this screening process. There is a possibility that digital media and certain forms of paper may be damaged during the screening process. We recommend that submitters avoid sending CDs or DVDs in plastic “jewel” cases. Paper CD sleeves or protective mailing envelopes are currently the best option for sending electronic information via conventional mail or courier.