Office of Operating and Environmental Standards
To develop and maintain maritime industry operating and environmental standards, regulations, and industry guidance to prevent deaths, injuries, property damage, and environmental harm by engaging all stakeholders, federal advisory committees, and international committees.
CG-OES develops standards regulating maritime industry through international treaties and U.S. statutes, regulations, and policy. As part of the Commercial Regulations and Standards Directorate (CG-5PS), the Office of Operating and Environmental Standards plays a large role in accomplishing objectives supporting the vision and mission of the Coast Guard.
Meet the Office Chief:
Captain Sean T. Brady: Biography
CG-OES is comprised of two divisions with well-defined areas of responsibility:
CG-OES Policy Letters:
- CG-OES Policy Letter 13-01 Rev 2, "Extension of Implementation Schedule for Approved Ballast Water Management Methods"
- CG-OES Policy Letter 12-01, "Guidelines for determining that foreign type-approved BWMS qualify as an Alternate Management System"
- CG-OES Policy Letter 01-15, "Guidelines for LNG Fuel Transfer Operations and Training of Personnel On Vessels Using Natural Gas as Fuel
- CG-OES Policy Letter 02-15, "Guidance Related to Vessels and Waterfront Facilities Conducting Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Marine Fuel Transfer (Bunkering) Operations"
- CG-OES Policy Letter 01-17, "Guidance for Evaluating Simultaneous Operations (SIMOPS) During Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Fuel Transfer Operations"
- CG-OES Policy Letter 02-19, "Clarification on Water Volumes and Flow Rates for Ballast Water Management System (BWMS) Testing"
Additional Technical Information:
Contact the Office of Operating and Environmental Standards (CG-OES):
Office of Operating and Environmental Standards (CG-OES)
U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters
2703 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE STOP 7509
Washington, D.C. 20593-7509