This customizable course offering is designed to meet your Subchapter M familiarity and instruction needs as a partner in Subchapter M compliance. Whether a Coast Guard marine inspector, industry compliance officer or operator, or Third Party Organization representative, we will instruct according to the latest policy and Coast Guard thinking on the selected topic(s). For those needing more advanced or specific training beyond what is outlined in the module descriptions below, please clearly state in the “Additional Information” section of the "ITV Training Request", and we will do our best to accommodate. Unless otherwise arranged, the TVNCOE will hold this training at the NCOE training facility in Paducah, KY.
Training modules (times are estimates):
- Introduction (30 minutes): Introduce TVNCOE staff. Describe the TVNCOE focus and two Subchapter M inspection options.
- Understanding a Certificate of Inspection (COI) (Part 136) (45 minutes): COI requirements. Discussion about the relationship between a COI and a Towing Safety Management System (TSMS).
- Dry-dock (Part 137) (30 minutes): Subchapter M dry-dock and internal structural examination requirements.
- TSMS (Part 138) (1 hour and 15 minutes): The purpose of a TSMS. Overview of the TSMS compliance process.
- Operations (Part 140) (1 hour): Overview of Subchapter M operational requirements.
- Navigation Safety (Part 140) (30 minutes): Overview of Subchapter M navigational safety equipment requirements. Applicability of COLREGS based on route and size/configuration of towing vessels.
- Manning and Watch Keeping (Parts 15 and 140) (1 hour and 15 minutes): Overview of manning, watch keeping, and work hour requirements.
- Standards for Training, Certification & Watch Keeping (STCW) (30 minutes): Overview of STCW requirements.
- Lifesaving (Part 141) (45 minutes): Overview of Subchapter M lifesaving requirements.
- Fire Protection (Part 142) (45 minutes): Overview of Subchapter M firefighting requirements.
- Engineering (Part 143) (45 minutes): Overview of Subchapter M engineering system regulatory requirements.
- Construction (Part 144) (1 hour): Overview of Subchapter M vessel construction regulatory requirements.
- TugSafe and TugSafe Central (30 minutes): Overview and demonstration of TugSafe (electronic inspection aid) and TugSafe Central (electronic compliance guidebook).
If you have questions, please call Mr. Steven Douglass at 270-444-7715 X205.