Office of Design and Engineering Standards (CG-ENG)
What we do
The Office of Design and Engineering Standards is responsible for developing and promulgating national regulations and standards that govern the safe design and construction of ships and shipboard equipment. We also establish policy, provide technical clarifications, and resolves any appeals. Finally we represent the United States at the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and are actively engaged with various standards committees (e.g., ASTM, IEEE, NFPC, etc) as well as classification society rules committees (e.g., ABS, LR, DNV, etc.).
Chief of Design and Engineering Standards
Who we are
The office is divided into four technical divisions:
- The Human Element and Ship Design Division (CG-ENG-1) was a division of the Office of Design and Engineering Standards but was dissolved in 2017. The primarily responsible for ENG-1 was for the development of design and engineering standards, policy, and regulations for novel ships and offshore units, with a focus on human factors integration. The responsibilities have been shifted to the four remaining active divisions.
- Naval Architecture Division (CG-ENG-2) is responsible for policy and standards development in the traditional areas of stability, structures, and load lines and also functions as the administrator of the Ship Structure Committee and of updates to the Assumed Average Weight Per Person (AAWPP).
- Systems Engineering Division (CG-ENG-3) is responsible for policy and standards development in the traditional areas of marine electrical and mechanical systems, including related equipment approvals and laboratory acceptance.
- Lifesaving and Fire Safety Division (CG-ENG-4) is responsible for lifesaving and fire safety standards and regulations, including related equipment approvals and laboratory acceptance.
- Hazardous Materials Division (CG-ENG-5) is responsible for policy and standards development related to transportation, storage, and handling of hazardous materials in the marine environment, including vapor control systems and packaged hazardous materials & solid hazardous materials in bulk.
Contact the Office of Design and Engineering Standards (CG-ENG):
Office of Design & Engineering Standards (CG-ENG)
U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters
2703 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE STOP 7509
Washington, D.C. 20593-7509