Outer Continental Shelf National Center of Expertise (OCSNCOE)
Policy and Guidance applicable to Fixed OCS Facilities (Fixed Platforms)
The following content is available on this page (content is organized under the respective tabs):
1) USCG Marine Safety Manual (MSM), Vol II;
2) Self-Inspection Form;
3) Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs);
4) National Policy;
5) District Eight (Gulf of Mexico) Policy;
6) Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circulars (NVICs); and
7) Production Facility Applicability Flowchart.
Marine Safety Manual
The following chapters of the Marine Safety Manual (MSM), Volume II: Section G - OCS Activities are applicable to Fixed OCS Facilities (also referred to as Fixed Platforms):
○ Chapter 1, Regulations, Policy and Guidance for a Unit Conducting an OCS Activity, and
○ Chapter 5, Procedures Applicable to Fixed OCS Facilities or Platforms.
The Fixed OCS Facility Inspection Report, CG-5432 (Rev 04/20), can be downloaded as a fillable pdf by clicking on the form number.
Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs)
CFRs that pertain to fixed platforms are as follows:
Primary subchapter -
○ 33 CFR Subchapter N - Outer Continental Shelf Activities
Additional subchapters that apply (not all will apply to every facility) -
○ 46 CFR Subchapter Q - Equipment, Construction and Materials: Specifications and Approval
○ 33 CFR Subchapter C - Aids to Navigation (Parts 66 and 67)
○ 33 CFR Subchapter H - Maritime Security (Parts 101, 103 and 106; only applies to facilities that fall into the categories listed at §106.105(a))
○ 33 CFR Subchapter O - Pollution (Parts 151, 153 and 155)
Note that 33 CFR Subchapter A also has applicability in regards to administration and legal actions.
CFRs can be viewed at ecfr.gov (regularly updated online version) or govinfo.gov (annual editions).
National policy letters that apply to fixed platforms are listed in the table below, grouped by issuing authority and ordered from newest to oldest (by policy number/original issue date). Click on the policy number to open the document (opens in a new window).
District Eight (Gulf of Mexico) Policy
D8 policy letters that apply to fixed platforms are listed in the table below, grouped by issuing authority and ordered from newest to oldest (by policy number/original issue date). Click on the policy number to open the document (opens in a new window).
Note that policy letter numbers for all policies listed from 1999 and earlier do NOT have a policy number referenced on the letter itself, but the policy number listed was assigned by D8 for tracking purposes.
Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circulars (NVICs)
NVICs that apply to fixed platforms are listed in the table below, ordered from newest to oldest (by NVIC number). Click on the NVIC number to open the document (opens in a new window). ALL NVICs can be found on the Official NVIC Page.
Production Facility Applicability Flowchart
For a pdf version of the applicability flowchart displayed below, click here.
Inspection Job Aid
The following Job Aid pertains to Fixed Platforms on the U.S. Outer Continental Shelf. Job Aids replaced the replaced the legacy CG-840 Books and can be a valuable tool for owners and operators to maintain regulatory compliance on their facilities.
Job Aids are developed for use by the CG Marine Inspector, following internal CG procedures, and are provided as a convenience (and transparency) to industry. The Pre-Inspection/Pre-Exam and Follow-Up sections mainly pertain to administrative tasks of the Marine Inspector. While "if applicable" is NOT annotated within the Job Aid, there are inspection/exam items listed that may not apply to a particular facility.
Additional Job Aids and Marine Inspector Performance Qualification Standards (PQS) are available on CVC's MI Resources page.