What We Can Do For You
- Gather, organize and provide statistical information.
- Foster dialog between the Coast Guard and industry.
- Research towing vessel issues.
- Help ensure high level of consistency through training and policy guidance.
- Train towing vessel examiners.
- Provide onsite assistance.
Transport Canada has issued Ship Safety Bulletin No. 07/2017 regarding deck watch requirements for vessels, including towing vessels, operating in waters under Canadian jurisdiction.
The Coast Guard has issued a new policy letter that discusses the certificate of inspection (COI) phase-in period for existing towing vessels using the TSMS option under Title 46, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Subchapter M
The Coast Guard has issued a new Marine Safety Alert that addresses fuel spray fire prevention, risks and consequences onboard commercial vessels.
The Coast Guard has issued a new policy letter that discusses the use of existing safety management systems to obtain an initial certificate of inspection under 46 CFR Subchapter M.
The Coast Guard has approved six (6) Third-Party Organizations in accordance with 46 CFR 139.115 to carry out functions related to ensuring that towing vessels comply with provisions of 46 CFR Subchapter M. A list of currently approved TPOs can be found on the Third Party Organization webpage maintained on this website.