Georeferencing Information for SAR Responders
- Federal Geographic Data Committee
The Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) is an interagency committee that promotes the coordinated development, use, sharing, and dissemination of geospatial data on a national basis.
- Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Instruction , CJCSI 3900.01C, 30Jun07
This instruction establishes policy in the use of position reference procedures for unilateral and joint operations of the US Armed Forces and for multinational operations with the military forces of allied nations.
Global Area Reference System (GARS)
GARS is an administrative measure used to rapidly and clearly define geographical locations for battle-space coordination, deconfliction and synchronization as well as for large-area search-and-rescue efforts. GARS is global in scope, providing a common language between the services/combatant commands and simplifying communications.
- National Geospacial Intelligence Agency Global Area Reference System (GARS) Brief
- GARS Examples (a PowerPoint presentation)
- Pathfinder Article: "NGA Introduces Global Area Reference System"