Subpart C, beginning with 46 CFR 143.500, is applicable to new towing vessels only.
Items to check:
- Alternative means to control propulsion and steering.
- Alternative controls independent from primary system.
- Readily accessible and suitable for prolonged operations.
- Communication available between alternative and primary operating station(s)
- Means to stop propulsions engines and steering motors from each station.
- Means to monitor thrust, direction ahead or astern, and rudder angle.
- Control system designed so that in the event of single component failure propeller speed and direction of trust are maintained or reduced to zero.
- Integrated steering and propulsion system (Z-Drive) designed so that in the event of any component failure of the system, propeller speed and direction of trust are maintained or reduced to zero.
- Audible and visual alarms operate if:
- Propulsion control system fails.
- Non-follow up steering controls failed, if installed.
- Ordered rudder angle does not match actual rudder position.
- System properly designed to eliminate nuisance alarms.
- Alarms separate and independent of system controls required by 143.225.
- Communication available between each operating station.
- Two electrical sources available to power electrical loads to maintain propulsion, steering and related controls for three hours.
- Second source automatically comes on line in event of main power failure.
- Propulsion, steering and controls that rely on stored energy such as batteries, hydraulic pressure, or compressed air must have two independent stored energy systems.
- Motors used to maintain propulsion and steering must automatically restart after power failure.
- Remote control restart available at operating stations.
46 CFR 136.110 Definitions, (New towing vessel)
46 CFR 143.225 Control and monitoring requirements
46 CFR 143.555(a)(3)(b)(8) Electrical power sources, generators, and motors
46 CFR 143.585 General requirements for propulsion, steering, and related controls on vessels that move tank barges carrying oil or hazardous materials in bulk
46 CFR 143.590 Proposer redundancy on vessels that move tank barges carrying oil or hazardous material in bulk
46 CFR 143.595 Vessels with one proposer that move tank barges carrying oil or hazardous material in bulk
FAQs Part 143 - see FAQ 143-033