MARITIME PERSONNEL QUALIFICATIONS DIVISION
Formerly known as CG-5221, CG-OES-1
“Get the Right Credential, at the Right time, to the right mariner”
The Maritime Personnel Qualifications Division (CG-MMC-1) performs the statutory mission of developing and modifying the regulations credentialing qualified U.S. mariners so that they are compliant with domestic or international standards set forth in Title 46, U.S. Code and the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification & Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) 1978, as amended.
- Develop and maintain standards, statutes, regulations for the maritime industry regarding personnel qualifications, licensing, certification, and manning.
- Support U.S. representation on the IMO Subcommittee on Human Element, Training and Watchkeeping (HTW) to accomplish U.S. objectives on issues relating to merchant marine personnel and manning which arise at IMO and other international forums.
- Coordinate the monitoring of U.S. implementation efforts with respect to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification & Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) 1978, as amended.
- Coordinates Coast Guard efforts at the International Labour Organization (ILO) related to maritime labor issues and the implementation of ILO conventions.
- Supports the Merchant Marine Personnel Advisory Committee (MERPAC) and the Merchant Mariner Medical Advisory Committee (MEDMAC).