USCG: IMO Council
Please note: Some of the Web sites listed below are not federal government Web sites, and may not necessarily operate under the same laws, regulations and policies as federal Web sites.
The Council is elected by the Assembly for a two-year term beginning after each regular session of the Assembly. The Council is the Executive Organ of IMO and is responsible, under the Assembly, for supervising the work of the Organization. Between sessions of the Assembly the Council performs all the functions of the Assembly, except the function of making recommendations to Governments on maritime safety and pollution prevention. Other functions of the Council are to:
- co-ordinate the activities of the organs of the Organization;
- consider the draft work program and budget estimates of the Organization and submit them to the Assembly;
- receive reports and proposals of the Committees and other organs and submit them to the Assembly and Member States, with comments and recommendations as appropriate;
- appoint the Secretary-General, subject to the approval of the Assembly;
- enter into agreements or arrangements concerning the relationship of the Organization with other organizations, subject to approval by the Assembly
Additional details regarding the Council can be found using the IMO Official Website.
The Summary of Decisions from the most recent Council sessions are provided for your reference.
Additional Council meeting documents can be made available by the Coast Guard for U.S. citizens only. Please contact LCDR Staci Weist
if you would like to obtain additional Council documents.
Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)