Site Updates and News
○ New - May 26, 2023: The District Eight OCS Officer in Charge, Marine Inspection released MSIB 23-01 detailing reporting requirements for the 2023 Hurricane Season. D8 OCS MSIBs can be accessed on the D8 OCS MSIB page.
○ New - May 9, 2023: Added menu link to the Coast Guard Maritime Industry Cybersecurity Resource website. This website is a single-source hub for Marine Transportation System-related cybersecurity resources. The site provides current information related to reporting cyber incidents, relevant policy and guidance, cyber-related bulletins and alerts, and links to other useful sources. This website by the Office of Cyberspace Forces
(CG-791) and Coast Guard Cyber Command (CGCYBER) Maritime Cyber Readiness Branch (MCRB) is a collaborative effort between the USCG, the Department of Transportation's Maritime Administration (MARAD) and the Department of Homeland Security's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA).
○ Recent - March 30, 2023: Published Drill Down #21 on DSC Distress Alerting. See Issue #21 on the Drill Down page or here.
○ Recent - March 14, 2023: Added a frequently asked question (FAQ) on the applicability of the Certificate of Financial Responsibility (COFR) to floating OCS facilities (FOFs) while being towed from the shoreside construction or integration yard to their installation location on the U.S. OCS. See the answer in the "financial responsibility" section of the FOF FAQs page.
○ Recent - March 6, 2023: The National Offshore Safety Advisory Committee (NOSAC) Spring 2023 meeting was held in Lafayette, LA on March 1, 2023. The meeting summary can be found on our NOSAC page with additional information and meeting documents available on the NOSAC Spring 2023 Meeting page.
○ FOF Policy Updates -
February 10, 2022: Guidance Documents, Oversight and Manning Requirements for Floating OCS Facilities (FOFs) were published via Federal Register 87 FR 7716, Docket No. USCG-2020-0049. This FR announces the release and discusses policies related to Floating OCS Facilities, CG-OES Policy Letter 01-22 and CG-MMC Policy Letter 01-22. These policies are also available on the National Policy tab of the FOF Regulatory Guidance page. MMC PL 01-22 cancels D8 PL 08-2001. Readers are encouraged to review the FR notice in conjunction with the policy letters for additional, explanatory information related to these policy changes.
April 13, 2022: Questions by the Offshore Operators Committee and their membership related CG-OES Policy Letter 01-22 and CG-MMC Policy Letter 01-22 regarding changes in Coast Guard policy/oversight of floating OCS facilities and the answers provided by the Coast Guard have been posted to the FOF FAQs page. A pdf document of the questions and answers is available here.
May 4, 2022: D8 OCS Policy Letter 01-2022, Verification of Training and Drills for Personnel Assigned Special or Emergency Duties on Floating Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Facilities (FOFs), was issued on May 3, 2022 and cancels D8 Policy Letter 03-2000, CH-1, Policy on Manning of Non-Self-Propelled Floating Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Facilities.
June 2, 2022: Added clarification to FAQ #30 related to CG-MMC Policy Letter 01-22 and the chemical testing requirements for an individual voluntarily holding a MMC while serving on a floating OCS facility. See the FAQ on the FOF FAQs page for additional information.
○ Important - December 21, 2021: Report of Investigation into Shell AUGER TLP Lifeboat No. 6 Inadvertent Hook Opening with Loss of Life and Injury at Garden Banks 426 on the U.S. OCS in the Gulf of Mexico. View the AUGER LB 6 page for information related to this incident.
December 22, 2021: See the Investigation Recommendations tab on the AUGER LB 6 page for a ready reference to the ROI recommendations and District Commander's endorsement of the same.
December 30, 2021: Added timelines that detail the accident and maintenance events for the Lifeboat No. 6 casualty.
February 8, 2022: Added USCG testing report for the Schat-Harding LHR 3.5M2 release mechanism (Enclosure (2) to the Report of Investigation).
Module updated 12May2023.