Policy and Guidance - Fixed OCS Facility (Fixed Platform)
This page has the following content applicable to Fixed Platforms (click on item to be taken directly to that section):
1) USCG Marine Safety Manual (MSM), Vol II;
2) Self-Inspection Form;
3) Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs);
4) National Policy;
5) District Eight (Gulf of Mexico) Policy;
6) Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circulars (NVICs); and
7) Production Facility Applicability Flowchart.
Part 1: MSM
The following chapters of the Marine Safety Manual (MSM), Volume II: Section G - OCS Activities are applicable to Fixed OCS Facilities (also referred to as Fixed Platforms):
○ Chapter 1, Regulations, Policy and Guidance for a Unit Conducting an OCS Activity, and
○ Chapter 5, Procedures Applicable to Fixed OCS Facilities or Platforms.
Part 2: Self-Inspection Report
The Fixed OCS Facility Inspection Report, CG-5432 (Rev 06/16), can be downloaded as a fillable pdf by clicking on the form number. Please note that the form is currently under agency review and is still VALID with the 08/31/2018 expiration date.
Part 3: Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs)
CFRs that pertain to fixed platforms are as follows:
Primary subchapter -
○ 33 CFR Subchapter N - Outer Continental Shelf Activities
Additional subchapters that apply (not all will apply to every facility) -
○ 46 CFR Subchapter Q - Equipment, Construction and Materials: Specifications and Approval
○ 33 CFR Subchapter C - Aids to Navigation (Parts 66 and 67)
○ 33 CFR Subchapter H - Maritime Security (Parts 101, 103 and 106; only applies to facilities that fall into the categories listed at §106.105(a))
○ 33 CFR Subchapter O - Pollution (Parts 151, 153 and 155)
Note that 33 CFR Subchapter A also has applicability in regards to administration and legal actions.
CFRs can be viewed at ecfr.gov (regularly updated online version) or govinfo.gov (annual editions).
Part 4: National Policy
Policy Letters that apply to Fixed Platforms are listed in the tables below, grouped by issuing authority and ordered from newest to oldest (by policy number). Click on the policy number to open the document.
Office of Commercial Vessel Compliance
||Guidance on Implementation of New Standards for Fire Protection, Detection and Extinguishing Equipment
||Compliance Verification of Alternative Security Program for MTSA Regulated Vessels and Facilities
||Fixed Platform Inspection Program
||Regular Compliment Crew Determinations for Vessels Engaged in OCS Activities (CANCELLED, see MSM Vol II; included here for historical reference purposes only)
Office of Design and Engineering Standards
||Portable Accommodation Module (PAM) Guidance
Part 5: District Eight (Gulf of Mexico) Policy
||Means of Escape on Fixed Platforms
|04-2016, Rev 1
||Lifesaving Inspection and Emergency Evacuation Drills on Manned Facilities (Including Mobile Offshore Drilling Units) on the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS)
||Interim Coast Guard Eighth District Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Risk-Based Inspection Resource Allocation Methodology
||Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Emergency Evacuation Plan (EEP) Approvals
||Means of Escape on Manned & Unmanned Fixed Platforms (CANCELLED 11Jul2014 by D8 OCS Memo, incorporated into MSM Vol II, Sec G; included here for historical reference purposes only)
Part 6: Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circulars (NVICs)
NVICs that apply to Fixed Platforms are listed in the table below, ordered from newest to oldest (by NVIC number). Click on the NVIC number to open the document. ALL NVICs can be found on the Official NVIC Page.
||Implementation Guidance for the Maritime Security Regulations Mandated by the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002 for Outer Continental Shelf Facilities
Part 7: Production Facility Applicability Flowchart
For a pdf version of the applicability flowchart displayed below, click here.