Site Updates and News
○ New - February 1, 2023: Notice of the National Offshore Safety Advisory Committee (NOSAC) March 2023 meeting was published via Federal Register Notice 88 FR 6768. The meeting is scheduled to be held in Lafayette, LA on 01Mar2023. Additional information, location and agenda can be found in the notice.
○ Recent - November 25, 2022: Safety Alert 12-22 for Search and Rescue Transponders (SARTs) was released by CG-INV.
○ Recent - November 1, 2022: Safety Alert 11-22 for dynamic positioning (DP) systems was released by CG-INV.
○ Recent - September 8, 2022: Added OCSNCOE developed MODU Codes (1979, 1989 and 2009) and all of the associated IMO resolutions under MODU Regulations, Policy and Guidance. This page contains electronic versions (pdf) of all three MODU Codes, as amended, and the resolutions that implemented and amended the Codes. The electronic MODU Codes were assembled by the OCSNCOE from publicly-available IMO resolutions and have been annotated by the OCSNCOE to assist with understanding the amendments and their applicability.
○ FOF Policy Updates -
February 10, 2022: Guidance Documents, Oversight and Manning Requirements for Floating OCS Facilities (FOFs) were published via Federal Register 87 FR 7716, Docket No. USCG-2020-0049. This FR announces the release and discusses policies related to Floating OCS Facilities, CG-OES Policy Letter 01-22 and CG-MMC Policy Letter 01-22. These policies are also available on the National Policy tab of the FOF Regulatory Guidance page. MMC PL 01-22 cancels D8 PL 08-2001. Readers are encouraged to review the FR notice in conjunction with the policy letters for additional, explanatory information related to these policy changes.
April 13, 2022: Questions by the Offshore Operators Committee and their membership related CG-OES Policy Letter 01-22 and CG-MMC Policy Letter 01-22 regarding changes in Coast Guard policy/oversight of floating OCS facilities and the answers provided by the Coast Guard have been posted to the FOF FAQs page. A pdf document of the questions and answers is available here.
May 4, 2022: D8 OCS Policy Letter 01-2022, Verification of Training and Drills for Personnel Assigned Special or Emergency Duties on Floating Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Facilities (FOFs), was issued on May 3, 2022 and cancels D8 Policy Letter 03-2000, CH-1, Policy on Manning of Non-Self-Propelled Floating Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Facilities.
June 2, 2022: Added clarification to FAQ #30 related to CG-MMC Policy Letter 01-22 and the chemical testing requirements for an individual voluntarily holding a MMC while serving on a floating OCS facility. See the FAQ on the FOF FAQs page for additional information.
○ Important - December 21, 2021: Report of Investigation into Shell AUGER TLP Lifeboat No. 6 Inadvertent Hook Opening with Loss of Life and Injury at Garden Banks 426 on the U.S. OCS in the Gulf of Mexico. View the AUGER LB 6 page for information related to this incident.
December 22, 2021: See the Investigation Recommendations tab on the AUGER LB 6 page for a ready reference to the ROI recommendations and District Commander's endorsement of the same.
December 30, 2021: Added timelines that detail the accident and maintenance events for the Lifeboat No. 6 casualty.
February 8, 2022: Added USCG testing report for the Schat-Harding LHR 3.5M2 release mechanism (Enclosure (2) to the Report of Investigation).
Module updated 01Feb2023.