Policy and Guidance - Floating OCS Facility (FOF)
This page has the following content applicable to FOFs (click on item to be taken directly to that section):
1) USCG Marine Safety Manual (MSM), Vol II;
2) Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs);
3) National Policy;
4) District Eight (Gulf of Mexico) Policy;
5) Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circulars (NVICs); and
6) Production Facility Applicability Flowchart.
Part 1: MSM
The following chapters of the Marine Safety Manual, Volume II: Section G - OCS Activities are applicable to FOFs:
○ Chapter 1, Regulations, Policy and Guidance for a Unit Conducting an OCS Activity, and
○ Chapter 4, Procedures Applicable to Floating OCS Facilities.
Part 2: Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs)
CFRs that pertain to Floating OCS Facilities are as follows:
Primary subchapter -
○ 33 CFR Subchapter N - Outer Continental Shelf Activities
Additional subchapters that apply -
○ 46 CFR Subchapter I-A - Mobile Offshore Drilling Units (Part 107, Subpart C and Part 108 only)
○ 46 CFR Subchapter F - Marine Engineering
○ 46 CFR Subchapter J - Electrical Engineering
○ 46 CFR Subchapter Q - Equipment, Construction and Materials: Specifications and Approval
○ 46 CFR Subchapter S - Subdivision and Stability
○ 33 CFR Subchapter C - Aids to Navigation (Parts 66 and 67)
○ 33 CFR Subchapter H - Maritime Security (Parts 101, 103 and 106; only applies to facilities that fall into the categories listed at §106.105(a))
○ 33 CFR Subchapter O - Pollution (Parts 151, 153 and 155)
Note that 33 CFR Subchapter A also has applicability in regards to administration and legal actions.
CFRs can be viewed at ecfr.gov (regularly updated online version) or govinfo.gov (annual editions).
Part 3: National Policy
Policy Letters that apply to Floating OCS Facilities are listed in the tables below, grouped by issuing authority and ordered from newest to oldest (by policy number). Click on the policy number to open the document.
Office of Commercial Vessel Compliance
||Guidance on Implementation of New Standards for Fire Protection, Detection and Extinguishing Equipment
||Compliance Verification of Alternative Security Program for MTSA Regulated Vessels and Facilities
||Regular Compliment Crew Determinations for Vessels Engaged in OCS Activities (CANCELLED, see MSM Vol II; included here for historical reference purposes only)
Office of Design and Engineering Standards
||Equivalency Determination – FRP Gratings Conforming to ASTM F3059
||Portable Accommodation Module (PAM) Guidance
||Acceptance of CAP-437, Standards for Offshore Helicopter Landing Areas
||Approval of Equivalencies to the Requirements for Odorizing Units on Fixed Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguishing Systems
||Alternate Design and Equipment Standards for Floating Offshore Installations (FOI) and Floating Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) Units on the U.S. Outer Continental Shelf
Part 4: District Eight (Gulf of Mexico) Policy
||Guidance on SPAR Liferaft Installations
||Lifesaving Inspection and Emergency Evacuation Drills on Manned Facilities (Including Mobile Offshore Drilling Units) on the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS)
||Interim Coast Guard Eighth District Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Risk-Based Inspection Resource Allocation Methodology
||Structural Integrity Management (SIM) Program as an Alternative Hull Inspection for Floating Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Facilities
||Interim Guidance on Life Extension (Continued Service) Requirements for Floating OCS Facilities
||Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Emergency Evacuation Plan (EEP) Approvals
||Guidance on Post-Hurricane Inspection Requirements for Floating Offshore Production Facilities
||Guardrail and Storm Rail Requirements for Floating Offshore Installations (FOIs) (CANCELLED 11Jul2014 by D8 OCS Memo, incorporated into MSM Vol II, Sec G; included here for historical reference purposes only)
||Use of Hose Reels with Non-Collapsible Hard-Rubber Fire Hosed on Floating Offshore Installations (CANCELLED 11Jul2014 by D8 OCS Memo, incorporated into MSM Vol II, Sec G; included here for historical reference purposes only)
Part 5: Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circulars (NVICs)
NVICs that apply to Floating OCS Facilities are listed in the table below, ordered from newest to oldest (by NVIC number). Click on the NVIC number to open the document. ALL NVICs can be found on the Official NVIC Page.
||Implementation Guidance for the Maritime Security Regulations Mandated by the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002 for Outer Continental Shelf Facilities
Part 6: Production Facility Applicability Flowchart
For a pdf version of the applicability flowchart displayed below, click here.