○ Updated - December 23, 2021: Updated OCS contact information (California and Alaska) on the USCG OCS Organization Chart.
○ New - December 21, 2021: Report of Investigation into Shell AUGER TLP Lifeboat No. 6 Inadvertent Hook Opening with Loss of Life and Injury at Garden Banks 426 on the U.S. OCS in the Gulf of Mexico.
The Coast Guard publicized the release of the report via Maritime Commons blog post. Commandant action is pending and "any feedback regarding the recommendations in the report can be sent to CG-INV1@uscg.mil no later than February 1, 2022 with the subject line ‘AUGER LIFEBOAT NO. 6 Recommendations’ and identification of the specific recommendation number in the body of the e-mail".
View the AUGER LB 6 page for information related to this incident.
December 22, 2021: See the Investigation Recommendations tab on the AUGER LB 6 page for a ready reference to the ROI recommendations and District Commander's endorsement of the same.
December 30, 2021: Added timelines that detail the accident and maintenance events for the Lifeboat No. 6 casualty.
○ New - December 10, 2021: Added references for Commandant Instruction Manuals that replaced Marine Safety Manual Volume II to the OCS Policy and Guidance section of the Regulations, Policy and Guidance page.
○ Recent - November 10, 2021: U.S. Coast Guard Safety Alert 08-21 addressing a specific fabricator of wire rope assemblies. See related Safety Alert 04-21 for general information on verification of wire rope terminations (regardless of fabricators or component manufacturers). Related presentation to the American Petroleum Institute webinar audience on 10Nov2021 can be viewed here. See also our Safety Alert page for additional safety alerts and a link to the official U.S. Coast Guard Safety Alert and Lessons Learned page.
○ Recent - October 7, 2021: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to Emergency Evacuation Plan (EEP) drills and exercises. The FAQs can be found on the General FAQs page or on the FAQs pages for MODUs, fixed platforms or floating OCS facilities.
○ Recent - October 6, 2021: Drill Down Issue #20, The MODU Codes explores the three IMO MODU Codes, their purpose and their amendments.